The definitions of "Clear"s
1952: originally this meant a person who no longer was operating under engram commands, who has been "cleared" of his aberrations. As of 1952 it is a relative word, and can be applied to persons who have raised themselves on the tone scale to a level where they have command of their thinking processes. The ideal clear, of course, would be at 20.0 on the tone scale-a balancing of theta and MEST. As long as they remained at that point, they would be balanced between full cause and effect, capable of assuming cause over anything.
1954: a person who can have or not have at will anything in the universe
1955: simply an awareness of awareness unit which knows it's an awareness of awareness unit, can create energy at will, and can handle and control, erase, or re-create an analytical mind or reactive mind.
1955: somebody who does not have any engrams in present time with him. By actual practice a Clear would have to be a stable thetan exterior since the body itself is composed of energy masses which unfortunately contain engrams
1957: in an absolute sense would be someone who could confront anything and everything in past, present and future
1957: a thetan who can knowingly be at cause over life, matter, energy, space and time, subjective and objective
1957: A scientology clear would be able to confront the physical universe, other bodies, his own body, other minds, his own mind and other beings-without trimmings
1958: from the attainment of "Clears" by L. Ron Hubbard. a person at willing and knowing cause over his own life, his body and his surroundings and without a reactive or subconscious mind.
1963: Book One definition holds exactly true. A Clear is somebody with no "held down fives" in this lifetime
1963: a thetan cleared of enforced and unwanted behavior patterns and discomforts
1965: a clear has no vicious reactive mind and operates at total mental capacity just like the first book said. In fact every early definition of Clear is found to be correct.
1966: a clear is not an all knowing being. A clear is somebody who has lost the mass, energy, space and time connected with the thing called mind.
1968: The Dianetic Clear is now called a Release due to total (Scientology) Clear being so much higher, and total clear, which we are today making in Scientology is completely out of comparison with what Dianetics was trying to do. The Dianetic Clear was: an optimum individual, no longer possessed of any engrams. The Scientology Clear is a person who can be at cause knowingly and at will over mental matter, energy, space and time as regards the first dynamic (survival for self). A Scientology Clear is a being who has attained this state by completing the Clearing Course and been declared Clear by the Qualifications Division.
Dianetics was the route from aberrated or aberrated and ill human, to capable human, Scientology is the route from human being to total freedom and total beingness.
1968: A thetan (the person himself-not his body or name, his mind or anything else-that which is aware of being aware) who can be at cause knowingly and at will over mental matter, energy, space and time as regards the first dynamic (survival for self). A clear is a being who has attained this state by completing the Saint Hill Clearing Course and been declared Clear by the Saint Hill Qualifications Division.
1968: A person who has completed Grade VII by erasing his whole bank. He no longer has a reactive mind or time track, and he is again wholly himself and can follow his own basic purposes.
1970 –(1) Dianetic Clear: an individual who has been cleared of all engrams and chains and who has achieved a general tone four; a Dianetic Case Completion; one who through Dianetic processing has become free of those things which make a person susceptible to, and "hold in place", psychosomatic ills, and is a healthy, happy human being. In this book Clear means Dianetic Clear. (2) Scientology Clear: A person who, having received all the processing gains from Dianetics to Grade VI (highest Scientology Release Grade), has then completed the Clearing Course at an Advanced Organization. A Scientology Clear has by definition the ability to be cause over mental matter, energy, space and time as regards the First Dynamic.
1974: Clear (noun), A much misunderstood state of being. The word has been used before with other meanings. It has been mistaken as an absolute. It is still used. It is used here as electronics slang and can apply to a chain, an incident or a computation.
1970-1976, ability to be at cause over mental matter, energy, space and time on the 1st dynamic (survival for self)
1975: A Clear in an absolute sense would be someone who could confront anything and everything in the past, present and future
1976: Clear, Theta, an individual who, as a thetan, is certain of his identity apart from that of the body, and who habitually operates the body from outside.
1977-1978: a thetan who can be at cause knowingly and at will over mental matter, energy, space and time as regards the first dynamic (survival for self). The state of Clear is above the release grades (all of which are requisite to clearing) and is attained by completion of the Clearing Course at an Advanced Organization.
1978: A clear in Dianetics, then is simply one whose engrams and locks are erased and who does not become confused, obsessed or impelled by past moments of physical pain. The goal is far, far beyond anything envisioned by such investigators as Freud.
1978: It will readily be seen that the ideal condition would be all theta recovered and no entheta remaining in existence in the individual. The attainment of this ideal is called in Dianetics a "cleared" state. This would be, at this time the end goal of processing.
1982: The band that achieves in a final burst of glory and freedom, the state of clear
1987: an unaberrated person. He is rational in that he forms the best possible solutions he can on the data he has and from his viewpoint. He obtains the maximum pleasure for the organism, present and future, as well as for the subjects along the other dynamics.
1991: Now the state of being cleared was what confused the issue. People wanted to know what they'd be like if they were cleared. A good question. Data accumulated, but not as fast as the questions. The people, cleared, would be better, feel better, be more moral, etc. All that is a matter of record. But the craving for an Absolute caused everyone to put the state called "OT" in place of the condition of "being cleared." Absolutes," in our Axioms, "are unobtainable."
1992: the name of a state achieved through auditing or an individual who has achieved this state. A Clear is a being who no longer has his own reactive mind. He is an unaberrated person and is rational in that he forms the best possible solutions he can on the data he has and from his viewpoint.
1993: A Clear is a person who no longer has his own reactive mind an therefore suffers none of the ill effects that that the reactive mind can cause. The Clear has no engrams which, when restimulated, throw out the correctness of his computations by entering hidden and false data.
A Clear is free with his emotions. He can think for himself. He can experience life unencumbered by inhibitions reactively dictated by past engrams. Artistry, personal force and individual character are all residual in the basic personality of the person, not the reactive mind. Clears are self- confident, happy and generally successful-in both careers and inter-personal relationships.
1993: A Clear is a person who no longer has his own reactive mind. He has vanquished it forever. Without the stimulus-response mechanisms of the reactive mind which can cause a person pain, unwanted sensations and negative emotions, a Clear can act rather than react. A Clear has a very high degree of personal integrity and honesty, and is living proof that man is basically good. His own basic beingness returns and his own basic personality flourishes. A person loses all the fears, anxieties and irrational thoughts that were held down by pain in the reactive mind and, in short, regains himself when he goes Clear. WHAT REALLY HAPPENS
Is it a scam? Let's think this through...
1) You are told that Scientology is a way of improving people's lives by making the able more able.
2) You are told that Scientology is not a religion but rather "an applied religious philosophy ".
3) You are told about a state of Clear whereby a person has perfect recall, immunity from accidents and flu, a longer life and the ability to solve chess problems in a fraction of the time and that you can reach this state by inexpensive Dianetics auditing.
4) You pay for the auditing and after a few hours of it it is stopped because you don't seem to be getting enough benefit from it.
5) You are told you need Scientology auditing rather than Dianetics auditing which is 100 times more effective. Trouble is, it cost 20 times the price. You can't afford it so you are persuaded to learn to be a Scientology auditor yourself where you can co-audit and therefore do it cheaper.
6) So you are sold the courses and the e-meter and you hope to go clear at half the price. But you so much want to have those powers as a Clear that you press on.
7) Two years later and you are getting nowhere. You are frustrated. The auditing your twin gave you doesn't work. What you need now is "repair auditing " done at the cost you were trying to avoid.
8) You get the repair auditing and you are now back on course. Several months later you are gettting nowhere.
9) Your only way to make any progress at all is to go for the full priced auditing you were trying to avoid. You are told that the "professional " auditors will give you more benefits in an hour than you have ever got in your life from doing Scientology.
10) You get "professional " auditing. You are pleased to have a chance to progress at last. A few weeks later you realize you are getting nowhere. But you want to be a "Clear " so you shut up and get on with it.
11) You have the elusive Clear cognition that basically says that a person realises that they are mocking up their own reactive mind. You go to "attest ".
12) You attest but wonder why you haven't got immunity from colds and flu, perfect recall etc. Just that you are "mocking up your own reactive mind less ". The goal you aimed for is not there. You express your concern but are told that all those goals and so much more are there on the OT levels.
13) Having gone Clear and hoping to have greater abilities, you are now told that "you are at risk and must rapidly move up to OT III ". So having gone Clear and paid money for Dianetics auditing, then training, then repair auditing and then having paid for the too expensive "professional auditing " you tried to avoid in the first place you reach the stage after paying more money where you have no extra abilities -- worse still, you are at risk.
14) You have learnt by now that Scientology IS a religion and anyone who says otherwise is an SP and an enemy of the Church and mankind. You hand over money to help them in their legal battles to keep Scientology running as a religion even though you were told it was not a religion but rather "an applied religious philosophy" yourself when yu asked.
15) You do OT III and the self-help group you thought you joined now takes on a new turn. You learn that you are full of the souls of dead space aliens named "body thetans" and it is they who are holding you back. You have to telepathically audit these dead space aliens to make them go away and then you will get super-powers like being able to leave your body at will and fly around the universe.
16) You do the expensive OT III and you attest to being free of body thetans. You wonder why you can't "exteriorize " or fly around the universe.
17) You are now told that you are still full of body thetans but the nearly dead or unconscious ones that didn't respond to OT III. You now have to do the OT IV Drug Rundown to take vitemins to wake up these body thetans so they can be audited.
18) Now come OT V audited NOTs. This is *really* expensive at double the cost per hour of the "professional auditing " you were trying to avoid when you got in and wanted to become Clear. And you are auditied on this for many many hours. It seems like the richer you are, the more body thetans you have, so all your money goes away and you go deep into debt.
19) After OT V you at last get onto OT VI. Guess what? More body thetans need to be handled but you can "solo audit " them away.
20) So you finally finish OT VI. Guess what? More body thetans need to be handled on OT VII. This is going to take many years and all the money you could ever get from anywhere. On top of this a "six month sec check " has to be performed that you have to pay for.
21) Few people finish OT VII but if they do they get onto OT VIII. The final blinding "cognition " of this level is you realise "now I know who I am not and am interested in finding out who I am " when you realise that all your supposed memories were not real but belonged to the body thetans you got rid of. And as for the OT powers, there are none because you are a "baby OT " now. No immunity from colds and flu and perfect recall that you were told about when you came through the door. You have parted with perhaps $350,000 for "now I know who I am not and am interested in finding out who I am ".
Is it a scam? I'll let you decide.
[Back to John's Homepage] [Back to British BodyThetan Society Homepage]
[no BodyThetans were harmed in the making of this page]